Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Twitter Killed the jQuery Star

As many of you are aware, I am a frequent Tweeter and regularly distribute Web Developer technology related links for .NET and jQuery via my Tech Tweets.

Historically, my main concern was to just gather the latest web dev news and Tech Tweet those out to the public.

However, more and more many of these posts are just round-ups of other posts with little or no commentary. These posts tend to clutter the interwebs with noise that makes it difficult to find the real gems of web development. 

A combination of a recently article entitled Smashing Magazine Killed The Community (Or Maybe It Was Me) and the input of several individuals that I respect inspired me to change how I am Tech Tweeting.

I put out an informal poll on Twitter and here were the results…

TopjQueryPluginPoll

The funny thing is that most of the responses were either in total support of the posts or in total opposition to the posts.

So what now? That is a good question. I’m not sure if you have noticed, but I have dramatically decreased the amount of round-up posts that I tweet.

If a blog post matches one or more of the following criteria it is most likely not going to be tech tweeted anymore…

  1. The title of the blog post starts with a number (example: “Top 10 jQuery Plug-in…”)
  2. If the blog post contains a series of screenshots from other websites without any original content
    Over the past couple of weeks I have been saving jQuery posts that I’ve not tweeted matching the above criteria. Thus far I have 22 rejected blog posts!

For those of you who voted that you liked the round-up posts, I still plan to post those blog posts, but only those that are of the highest quality and hopefully provide some sort of original content such as sample code, pros & cons, personal thoughts, etc…

My goal is to aid the jQuery community, not work against it ;)

Note: If you have any feedback about the above post or how I can improve Tech Tweets, please let me know.

Now for listening enjoyment...

No comments:

Post a Comment